Basement Remodeling Details
Basement remodeling projects can add to the quality of your house while increasing its value. However, in order for it to be a successful remodel, several aspects should be considered. When it comes to a basement remodel, there are 4 main aspects that you need to focus your attention on. Some of these aspects get overlooked during the remodel process or not enough time is set aside for each one.
- Design Ideas
- Lighting Ideas
Always resolve any waterproofing problems before you remodel your basement. Check for mold and mildew, moldy odors, peeling paint, damp spots on walls, white substance on basement walls, cracked walls, rust on appliances or furniture, and dry rot. If you notice any of these problems then start working on some waterproofing techniques.
Finishing a basement is an extremely complicated undertaking and only a professionally-trained basement finishing contractor has the knowledge and experience to successfully take on the project without making the mistakes that an amateur would most likely make. Finishing a basement typically involves completely the walls, floors, stairs, ceiling, and furnishings.
Basement Remodeling Design Ideas
The design of a basement remodel is the fun part. A beautifully executed basement remodeling project can turn your dark, damp and dreary space into a wonderful for place for entertaining guests, dining, additional living space, or even into a top line home theater. Basements are wonderful remodeling projects because they really give you the opportunity to start reclaiming your space. The best way to go about a basement remodel is to first work with what you have already. For example, if your basement is dark, as most basements are, maybe you could utilize the darkness by creating a home theater or dark room. On the flip side, if your basement offers good natural light, consider creating a kids play room, exercise area, or additional bedrooms.
Below are some ideas for other creative basement remodeling projects:
- Build a Bar in Your Basement: Basement bar areas are a very popular design element. I mean think about it, it gives you the opportunity to stay at home and celebrate with family and friends. Who could ask for more than the comfort of your own home?
- Music Studio: Soundproofing a basement is a smart investment no matter what you choose to do with the room. If a music studio is in the works, you will definitely need to. Soundproofing will keep the noise to a minimum so that people upstairs can enjoy their own space and peace of mind.
- Home Office: Want a quiet place to get your work done, away from the rest of the traffic and noise going on in your home? Basements work great for home offices. There is plenty of space for you to be as creative as you would like.
- Home Wine Cellars: The cool environment in a basement creates the perfect space for a home wine cellar. You could either build a small wine cellar or create a large space for a huge wine collection. Talk with your basement remodeling contractor about how to get exactly what you want out of your basement space.
- Recreation Room: Basements are large enough to create a wonderful recreational room that could include a pool table, an entertainment area, a bar, video arcade games, exercise equipment and even a hot tub!
Last, but not least, you will need to figure out the best lighting scheme for your newly remodeled space. The basic rules that one should follow are to make the best use of artificial lighting and to maximize your natural lighting. Additional suggestions include using mirrors to reflect light and open spaces and to make use of occupancy sensors, recessed lighting, surface mounted spot lights, directional lights, track lights, and three-way lights.
Looking For More Information On Basement Remodeling?
Basement remodeling is a great investment. You'll want to make sure you are choosing the right basement remodeler for your house and your budget. We offer Free Basement Remodeling Price Quotes from local, prescreened basement remodeling contractors.
Preparing For Basement Remodeling
Basement remodels require you to plan ahead and prepare for your contractors to be moving things in and out of your lower level. The stairwell, entrance way and storage area are the three main areas to focus on. Contractors need to be able to easily get from their truck and into your basement as they are carrying heavy loads of materials and equipment.
▪ read entire article
Planning Your Basement Remodel
As you may have heard plenty of times before, “planning ahead” is definitely the most crucial step to a remodeling project. Homeowners that go into a home remodeling project ill-prepared and unaware usually end up dealing with higher costs in job quality, later due dates, higher project costs and a major headache. Needless to say, the planning/permitting process, and negotiating construction start dates are hard to fit into the same building season unless you plan ahead!
▪ read entire article
Hiring a Basement Remodeler
Basement remodeling contractors are a little different from other contractors that you may hire. First of all, they are typically hired to make an enhancement to your home, as opposed to most contractors that are hired to correct problems or perform maintenance. It’s usually exciting to have a basement contractor working on your home because you can anticipate your living space becoming bigger and better.
▪ read entire article